Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Red Vest

Flying to Europe can be boring and sometimes I just don't feel like reading or watching movies or eating crap food or sleeping or.... Therefore, I thought I would try to take a knitting project into the cabin. I was a little bit afraid that they would confiscate my needles at the security check but I was willing to take the risk. I took some circular bamboo knitting needles hoping that the detector wouldn't find them - and success!! I managed to bring everything on board and worked on the back of this vest during the flight to Europe. The front was mainly knitted on board the train from Salzburg to Zurich and I managed to finish the vest while I was with my family for Christmas. I purchased the yarn (100% organic wool) last September in the really nice tiny wool shop that recently opened in our neighbourhood urbanfaunastudio.com. As usual, I did not follow knitting instructions but made my own design and calculations. The picuture shows my ancient dress form wearing the vest in my sister's appartment - I did not bring her to San Francisco with me and miss her here (my sister, too, of course!).

Weil die langen Flüge nach Europa langweilig sein können, habe ich diesmal mein Strickzeug mit an Bord genommen. Ich hatte Bedenken, dass die Stricknadeln die Sicherheitskontrolle nicht überstehen würden und habe deshalb Bambus-Rundstricknadel eingepackt. Und tatsächlich, kein Problem, auch an Bord hat niemand was gesagt:-) So konnte ich also auf dem Flug nach London einen Grossteil des Rückenteils stricken, was eine sehr angenehme Abwechslung zum Essen, Schlafen, Film schauen und Lesen war. Auf der Zugfahrt von Salzburg nach Zürich habe ich dann am Vorderteil gearbeitet und so wurde der Pullunder fertig, bevor wir wieder zurück geflogen sind. Natürlich hab ich ihn gleich an meiner Schneiderpuppe ausprobiert, die es leider nicht mit uns nach Kalifornien geschafft hat. Die Wolle (100% biologisch erzeugte Schafwolle) habe ich letzten Herbst in einem kleinen Wollgeschäft hier im Inner Sunset gekauft (Link siehe oben). Das ist zwar nur ein kleiner, dafür aber sehr feiner Ersatz für den Köbu im Emmental:-)

Hihi, kleiner Nachtrag am 27.1.2009 - es gibt eine Seite Men Who Knit (Männer, die stricken) und da wurde das Thema Stricknadeln im Flugzeug erschöpfend diskutiert:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment